Monday, September 10, 2007

My weekend

On Saturday, I attended my first college football game outside the state of Michigan, at my wife's school, the University of Tennessee. They played Southern Mississippi at 7pm Saturday night. A good time was had by all.

In Michigan, I don't recall any sort of pre-game parade, where the band and the team walk from their respective buildings to the stadium through the crowds of people. They do that here in Tennessee and I will admit it was pretty cool to see. Neyland Stadium holds 106,000 people, and I am willing to bet that 50,000 of them were there 2.5 hours early for the bands performance and to welcome the players into the stadium and wish them luck. That was neat.

With Amber being a student, naturally, we were sitting in the student section. Or I should say standing, sideways, falling off a bleacher most of the game in the student section. It was a lot of fun, and in true college student fashion, Amber and her friend Emily snuck in booze in their bras and it became 'cocktail time in Tennessee' real quick with the cokes we bought once we got in the gate. Tennessee won, 39-19 and I swear Southern Mississippi's QB is related to Vince Young somehow. His name is Jeremy Young, and he wears #10 and plays a lot like Vince Young of the Tennessee Titans. There has to be some relation.

So, after the game, we went to a bar in the 'Old City' part of Knoxville. The area is kinda ghetto, but rebuilding. At that bar I had another drink, I was in no way drunk, but it led to a late night and dehydration Sunday. Sunday I was supposed to run 18 miles.

I woke up at 10 am on Sunday (I never wake up that late) and by the time I started my 18-miler it was 11 am, on a day where the high temp was going to be in the 98F neighborhood. I really gave it the old college try, but I gave up after 12.5 miles. Granted, 12.5 miles is still a pretty far run for being dehydrated and hot, but I am a little bummed I didn't make my 18 mile goal. So, it was a lesson learned, don't drink and stay up late thinking you're going to be able to run 18 miles the next day. I am still having IT band issues, I think I am going to go see a chiropractor, to make sure my shoulders and hips are aligned properly.

The rest of the day on Sunday, I folded laundry and watched football. The Titans won a pretty boring game, and my Lions won! I didn't see much of the Lions game (it wasn't on in TN, but once the Lions started blowing their lead Fox switched over to it at the end), but they looked good. The Lions might actually be better this year.

1 comment:

*lisa* said...

ah a fellow lions fan!!! (and they reclaimed their lead in the end ... it was all a ruse for ratings. i swear!) i only got to see the last 2 minutes, too (same reason)

 
technorati tags:
del.icio.us tags:
icerocket tags:
keotag tags: