Monday, July 16, 2007

10 miles is FAR.

Hello world, I hope everybody had a good weekend!

My run on Thursday was OK at best. Thankfully, I had clothes and shoes to run in, but it just didn't feel right at all. I didn't have my Ipod (which I rely on for pace--I don't wear a watch), and I was running in heavier, stability shoes. I normally run in my lighter, neutral cushion shoes and I actually noticed a big difference. It felt like I was running around with anchors on.

Friday and Saturday were resting days, and I went out for 10 miles on Sunday. 10 Miles!

I did survive the run, but it wasn't easy. During the first half of the run, I had energy from lunch (which consisted of Tacos and Mt Dew--also known as 'the lunch of champions'). I ended up running at about 5:30 pm, because I got too hungry to run at lunch time to go out and run then (when I originally wanted to). So I ate at about 1:30 and ran around 5:30. Miles 1-5 were great, good energy (taco power!), no soreness, plenty of wind.......I thought I was all good.

Miles 6-10 were a different story. The energy went away, I had noticeable ankle soreness, and slight cramps right at the end. Now, I have never run at lengths this far, nor times this long. I have never ran for 1 hour and 25 minutes without stopping before. I hope the soreness goes away after I do a few more 10+ mile runs.

I think it is important to note that I did not drink or eat anything during my run. My wife usually runs 2-3 miles while I am running these longer runs and she functions as my "drink station" after she is done with her running. She wasn't feeling good, so she didn't come with me on Sunday. For future reference, I think I will be much better served eating or drinking something at about mile 5. Hopefully that helps with the problems I was having Sunday.

On a side note, I really need to sit down one of these days and put together an Ipod play list for my running. I have a lot of crappy music on my Ipod right now, and that needs to change for these longer runs. I am paying more attention to changing songs than anything else during my runs and I don't like that.

On a second side note, the Godfather was on cable last night. That is a long movie.

1 comment:

Erik said...

Dude, I like the new look of the blog. Much cleaner...and very white stripes. Its amazing what you can get done when you should otherwise be working. Heheh!!

 
technorati tags:
del.icio.us tags:
icerocket tags:
keotag tags: