Thursday, July 26, 2007

Goodbye, Hello.


One year ago today I did something that I used to always say I'd never do. Leave the state of Michigan. It was on July 26th, 2006 that my wife and I packed up the Uhaul and took off to see what is outside of the mitten. We had both lived in the mitten for the significant parts of our lives, and to leave the comforts of home (not only the city, but the entire state) was not an easy decision. I can't point to one specific reason why we left then, and that hasn't changed today. There still isn't a reason why we did it, other than 'we felt like it'.

My last job in Detroit was in professional sports, working in the Detroit Tigers front office. It had always been a dream of mine to work in professional sports, and I achieved it, but for some reason I had no problem quitting my job w/the Tigers and moving to TN with no job in place. To rub salt in the wound, the Tigers made it to the 2006 World Series and I got to watch it from TN. Had I stayed, I would have had an American League Championship ring. Bling Bling, for real.

I am very surprised to say that everything mentioned above doesn't bother me. Sure, I miss working in Pro baseball, but I don't miss the low pay and the long hours. It would have been cool to have a blinged-up ring, but it's not the end of the world that I don't have one. I grew up a 'things' person, always wanting the latest and greatest....you know, the typical American attitude. I'm just not like that anymore. I don't need things to make me feel good about myself. I do have good people in my life, and I think that has helped me more than anything else.

My wife and I are getting ready to move this weekend across town, and it's forcing me to take an inventory of my stuff--and I am getting rid of a lot of it. If I haven't touched it in a year, it's gone. Plain and simple. If I can go 1 year without it, I can go 60 more.

This could go on and on forever, but long story-short Amber and I have been in TN a year and we are very happy here. Things are going well and we have made some good friends. I am not going to speak for Amber, but I couldn't be happier here.


4 comments:

Brooke said...

Being a military spouse, I can understand the moving (and purging) attitude. My hubby and I can't stand to have clutter.

Rundoodle said...

Happy one year anniversary of your move! I moved from Michigan to Atlanta 14 years ago last July 4. Mostly I miss the DIA, and my good friend Jane, but not much else. I still put my hand out to show people where I'm from!

KdoubleA said...

I totally do the hand thing when I refer to where I am from!

Erik said...

Kevin, I couldn't be happier that you guys are here! I forget what it was like here without you. You guys have brightened up our lives by moving here to Knox-Vegas :)
Love,
Sonya

 
technorati tags:
del.icio.us tags:
icerocket tags:
keotag tags: