Tuesday, July 10, 2007

I am starting to suck at this whole blogging thing


I feel like I have let the world down. I am sorry, truly and deeply from the bottom of my heart.

Well, excuse #1 is I was on vacation. I had my laptop, and I broke it out and used it once, but I still should have taken time away from my trip and blogged for you, the people. I made a commitment to the world and I need to do a better job of sticking to it.

Excuse #2 is that my running has been interesting, but I don't really have any pictures. Last week I ran on an Army base twice and on the campus of Virginia Tech, which were all really interesting experiences. I wanted to have pictures from my vacation on my first blog after vacation, which leads me to excuse #3.......

.....and Excuse #3 is........my pictures are not uploaded onto my computer yet. It's not difficult, nor is it time-consuming. I just haven't done it yet. You can blame the Home Run Derby for that. (Or you could blame steroids, because in a round about way steroids are the reason I haven't uploaded my vacation pictures onto my computer yet)

In an attempt at increased web traffic, I am going to mention Paris Hilton and the Iphone now.

I just crossed the 100 mile plateau since the end of May. Yay for me:

100 Miles!!!!!!

I will say that Virginia Tech has a very nice campus. It is in the middle of nowhere ("there is a lot of farmland around here.......oh look, Virginia Tech is on the right....."), but I really liked how the campus was set up and the appearance of the buildings. We went on a Sunday afternoon, and there were a lot of people on campus.....some going to the chapel, some students moving in, some students hanging out....but I didn't notice any 'gawkers' or 'tourists', basically people who were there just to see the buildings where 'the stuff went down' and the memorials stemming from that tragedy. (For the record, I visit college campuses whenever I can. When I got to VT, I did not know the names of the buildings in which the shootings took place, nor did I ask around to find out. Consequentially, I ran by them during my 9-mile run. I looked up the names after I got home, out of curiosity, and I was surprised to know that the buildings didn't have any markings indicating that 'something bad happened here'.....No warning tape, fences, broken windows...etc)

From what I could tell, the University took down all the 'student made' memorials and started construction on a permanent memorial right in front of Burruss Hall on the courtyard (it's called the drillfield by the locals). It was not complete, but still nice. I guess construction started on the memorial in mid-June and should be done before the fall semester starts.

I could understand that the university doesn't want new students to be reminded of what happened in April, and that's why the fences were taken down around the 2 buildings and the memorials were basically moved to one place. To me, the campus looked normal. (This is where those pictures I was talking about earlier would have helped....) I couldn't tell what two buildings the shootings happened in just based on running by.

So, my 9-mile run on campus went well. I definitely was dehydrated afterwards (I can thank the diet coke at breakfast for that), but other than that my pace was 8:45/mile, which I am fine with. Due to the dehydration, I didn't sweat all that much and my knees ached a little. I will say that the run seemed like it took foorrreeevvveeerrrrr. Not because it was 9 miles, but my miles individually seemed like they were taking much longer than normal to roll by (the joys of Nike+Nano). My pace was consistent with what it's always been, so I guess it was just one of those days.

On a health note--I think I may have caught Bronchitis while in Virgina Beach. I'll keep everyone posted. I have had a scratchy throat for the last 2 days and my nose and lungs are a little plugged up. I've wrote enough for today. This is long. Thats what she said.

No comments:

 
technorati tags:
del.icio.us tags:
icerocket tags:
keotag tags: