Friday, July 20, 2007

Who wears short shorts?

If I had a picture of me before/after/during my runs, it would benefit you (the world) in a number of different ways:

1. You would see what I look like. That alone would benefit everyone.
2. You would see what I wear while I run

Well, I guess that's only 2, but it would help illustrate my situation.
I wear basketball shorts when I run, very similar to the guy on the right above. My wife gives me a hard time about this almost every time I run. She says it "looks weird", for one, and she also says if I had some lighter, shorter shorts my running would be easier. Everything she says makes perfect sense, and I worked in a running store for 4 years, so I KNOW she is right.

I just can't get over looking like these guys:

I know that I shouldn't care about how I look when I am running, and when it comes down to it I really don't. There is just something inside of me that is attached to my basketball short-running ways. Is it my way of 'keeping it real' and not conforming to the 'runner society'? Am I just plain stupid? (I really am the ONLY person I see running for as long/far as I do in shorts as long as mine are.....) One day I will give in and buy a pair of short shorts, I still work at the running store on Saturdays and I can get a set for pretty cheap. Once I give in, I'll let you (the world) know if I notice a difference. I already know the answer.

PS: I ran 6 miles on a treadmill yesterday (Thursday). It totally sucked 100%. I can't open up my stride on a treadmill and long runs are just uncomfortable. I guess I need to figure out 'how' to run 'normally' on a treadmill.

4 comments:

Blaine Moore said...

I had a teammate in college who insisted on running in "regular" shorts because he didn't like the running shorts look. He also ran with nothing underneath.

That doesn't work well when your average weekly mileage is in the 85-105 mile range. He changed his ways pretty quickly.

Ian said...

I'm totally with you on this. I run in basketball style shorts, maybe not quite as long as those guys in the picture but definitely not the 'daisy dukes' that you see some runners wearing.

I like the new colors, but you might want to rethink having black text on a black background in the comments. ;)

iJuls said...

I like the title of your post: Who wears short shorts? - reminds me of the Nair commercial that played with I was a young girl.

Amy@RunnersLounge said...

6 miles on a treadmill - eeck! And you didn't lose your mind - good for you!
Amy
http://blog.runnerslounge.com

 
technorati tags:
del.icio.us tags:
icerocket tags:
keotag tags: