Monday, August 13, 2007

In an effort to stay as far away from the treadmill as possible.....


.....I am going against what Half-Fast has to say and I am going to become a morning runner. This started with my 12 miler Sunday, and continued with my 4 miler Monday. Living in Tennessee, I physically can not run at 5 pm, when I get out of work. You could equate that (running at 5pm in August in Tennessee) to running in a furnace, which I've never tried, but I am guessing it's not very 'cool' (you like that double meaning there?????)

The benefits of running in the morning:
--You're done with your run by 8 am
--You don't have to worry all day about your run
--You can actually do something besides run after work (Like relax at the pool, go to the electronics store, eat dinner, watch a baseball game, etc...)
--It's not 95F at 6:30am
--It is about 70F at 6:30 am (at least around here)

So, begrudgingly I am a morning runner, at least for a few weeks. Yes, waking up at 6 am isn't my idea of a good time, but it is necessary if I want to run (and live) in Tennessee.


My last 3 runs have been good. Last Thursday, I ended up running at Dawn, and I didn't have a whistle with me. I didn't need it, as Finished my 7 miles before the sun totally went down. (I live in a 'nicer' part of Knoxville, it's not like I was running through the streets of Detroit with $100's falling out of my pockets.....so even if I was running at 1 am, I don't think I'd really get assaulted)

Sunday was a 12 miler, and it was the 2nd Sunday in a row that I ran 12. I ran this 12 in 1:45:05, which was 7 minutes faster than my 1:52 last Sunday. I don't know if I ran last Sunday's too slow, or this Sunday's too fast, but I felt pretty good throughout the day after this Sunday's 12 mile morning run. Nothing too eventful about this run, except I had a bathroom experience that you could expect while camping, out in the middle of nowhere.....luckily it was 7:45 am on Sunday morning and nobody was around......you can connect the dots......

Monday's 4 miler was good, started at 6:30 am, nothing exceptional about the run. I was a little sore from Sunday's 12, mostly my left IT-Band, but nothing I am really worried about. I have good shoes and they have really helped me make it through these runs.

This is week 11 of my training, and I could easily go out and finish a half-marathon tomorrow. That's a good feeling for me, and now I can see in my training that these next 10 weeks are getting me to the 'next step' for the marathon. I have really been impressed with my progress due to this program I found through the Free Press Marathon website. The man who came up with this program is Doug Kurtis, and he seems to know what he is doing. You could click here for a copy of a program based on your experience.

Music: I have been really liking the album 'St. Anger' by Metallica lately. Die Hard Metallica fans hate this album, but I think it's pretty good for me while I run. Sometimes I will listen to stand-up from Dave Chapelle or David Cross, but that's risky because I don't want to laugh while I run. It's not cool.

4 comments:

Erik said...

'twas a good run today. I'm really needing this encouragement, especially if I'm going to try and keep the pace for our 10K. Thanks for helping, man!

BTW...what are you going to do when the time changes and it's pitch black at 6:30 in the morning and will continue to be until 8 or so? I say "Headlamps" and glowing puff-paint shirts!!

KdoubleA said...

When the time changes, so will the temperature and I may revert back to afternoon running.

I have not made a final decision on that yet, however. I kinda like the morning running.

RunToTheFinish said...

It takes awhile, but the morning run is so worth it during the warmer months... true that it is a little frigid in the winter, but the quiet of the winter is kinda neat.

Ian said...

I have to say, the worst part about it was getting up out of bed. Once I was up. It was great. It made the rest of the day easier, and I had a lot more free time in the evening.

 
technorati tags:
del.icio.us tags:
icerocket tags:
keotag tags: