Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Softball is over!


I say that like I am glad, and I am. No disrespect to my teammates, but I am just glad that the season is over and I got out injury-free. At the beginning of the season, I pulled both quads in the first game (I never sprint......therefore when I did my legs went pop, pop!), then once my quads healed I turned an ankle. After the ankle healed, I began my official 'training', (which consists of running 4 days a week) and I have been in good health since (Coincidence? Probably not.)

Softball was a lot of fun, but even more importantly for me was that I ventured out and did something that I had never done before. What I mean is that I typically shy away from things that I have never tried and stick to doing things I know that I am good at. Honestly, I thought Softball was going to be easy and I'd step right in and be a good player because I don't look like this guy:

Boy, was I wrong. I am a terrible softball player, and I am OK with that. I never played baseball when I was growing up, and that is where all these guys learned their fundamentals that they can apply in softball. My athletic ability didn't help much when I had a hard time getting on base, catching the ball once I got to it, etc. etc. It was comical to me near the end how bad I was. Just like anything else, I will get better as I learn from the guys and get more games under my belt.

I can honestly say that playing softball was one of the first times where I was bad at something and didn't quit right away. I am pretty sure I have self-esteem issues and they stem from being ridiculed by my parents for 18 years when I was 'bad' at something. I would be afraid to try new things, things that require practice and learning, because I didn't want to hear it from my parents. It's a stupid way to approach things, but when you're a kid you don't know any better.

Once I moved to Tennessee, I really started to realize things like I just mentioned above about me and how I looked at the world and the people in my world. What I perceived as normal is actually far from it. I have a lot of work (socially, mentally) ahead of me and I feel like this softball team was the first step in many to fix a strange childhood (which, until recently, I thought was a 'normal' childhood.)


Q: So, uh....that sappy personal crap is all fine and well, and it sucks and all, but what about your run, dude?
:
A: I know you (the world) just LOVE reading about my runs, but Tuesday was a rest day. I played softball Tuesday evening and we lost 10-5. I guess I didn't really rest.

1 comment:

Erik said...

I'm glad you're strange. You fit right in with me. I love you, brother!

 
technorati tags:
del.icio.us tags:
icerocket tags:
keotag tags: